Friday, August 22, 2008

Disturbing Scribbles

This morning I came to my office as usual and was waiting for the elevator. The lobby still has the India independence day decorations with small paper flags pasted around. There were two such flags pasted just above the entrance to one of the two elevators. And I saw some scribblings on them. And this is what was written on one of the Flags - " Mera Bharat Mahaan ...Sau mein se 99 Bemaan" and on the other Flag it said - " We should be proud of our poverty, our un employment, our corruption, our il tracy" (as spelled on the scribblings) . Below the scribblings was the signature of the scribbler.

I do not know why, but I was terribly disturbed. And I keep thinking, who jotted them. Was the Scribbler - a male or a female? old or young person? literate or a semi literate? Hindu, Muslim or Christian, employed or unemployed? intelligent? sadist? pessimist ? sarcastic? dejected? - WHO could it be ?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fool!

Unknown said...

Well, it would be someone either fashionably contemptible or genuinely disillusioned with our current state depending on his/her experience. So, I'd say either sarcastic or dejected, then. Also, you don't need to meet 100 people to decide that 99 are corrupt - you'd come to that conclusion based on a much smaller sampling of people. But why does this upset you so much?

Anonymous said...

Adi, Yes a fool, but hope not a dangerous fool.
Kausthub, like I said, I really do not know...

Anonymous said...

IS to be given a thought
Bharath